Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Three Chapter Curse

There is one. Seriously, it wraps it's evil cloak around you and it screws you over. For like twenty years. When you send in a manuscript many, many times agents will write you back about a query letter unless it is utterly inappropriate for what they represent ( a Regency sent to an agent that handles Paranormal usually or something) and ask for a full synopsis and the first three chapters. Knowing that your status as published or not published and al the bragging rights that entails will be made in those first three chapters it becomes The First Three Chapters. I've known people who can screw with those chapters for ten years. And I'm not kidding. I belong to an organization (or maybe my membership is up) where there is a large percentage of women who have been writing away faithfully, attending meetings, going to conferences and they NEVER PROGRESS BEYOND THE FIRST THREE CHAPTERS AND THEY NEVER WILL. It's the curse. Of course, often it's the product of ADD. But if you can make it to chapter four you're usually good. The problem is you can finish your whole book and then tinker with The First Three Chapters endlessly. As I am an example of this neurosis.

Yes, my friend Kathy, the blogless wonder, has corrected and returned my letter (with two comma changes and a misspell which I think is pretty good). I have done a folder worth of agent research. I have addresses, emails and submission criteria at the ready. And what am I doing? Blogging. I'm so pathetic.

So, baby steps. I'm going to send out the query letter to an agent who only wants the letter emailed to her (Kristin Nelson) TODAY. First step is the hardest and then it will be easier. I may need to draw up a schedule of submission since I am good with lists. Okay, I'm great at making lists, somewhat mediocre in completing them. So here we go...

No comments: