Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I've picked bad days to edit my book. I'm doing this whole cleansing diet thing for two days and all I can eat is protein and drink water and this gross juice (read diuretic). The juice gives me an awful headache. And while being able to eat nothing but meat, eggs and green veggies sounds great, after the first day you are so over it. Anway, I'm editing for commas but then finding places where I need to spiff things up. I've now decided I've writeen the worst book in history. Even worse then the last worst book ever I wrote. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh. Stupid book.

And again, I found myself forced, FORCED to make a political comment. Today, President Asshat said that he would veto any legislation put forth to keep the deal he has made for the middle eastern run company to do security on our ports. AND that he felt people were upset about this because of racial bias. You think? No, really. You think Joe Bob Redneck is ever going to get over people from some vague sandy land somewhere blowing up the Twin Towers? Do you think he knows or cares that these weren't those people? Do you think that a group that has been profiled as Muslim Extremist for years by every media outlet will not be confused with the peaceful Muslims that are not fringe groups by 95% of the population? Hey, thank God no one is freaking out about how our country is being run by a pretend Christian extremeist and confusing him with the rest of us who are, for lack of a better word, not nuts. Darn straight it's racial bias.

But the part I love, really love, is that now suddenly his major supporters are all "but I don't understand why he's acting like this! When did he start channeling Stalin?" Right. It's like when people find out a serial killer has been living next door and watering their plants while they were on vacation for ten years, "He seemed so normal." How could anyone think that George Bush and his pseudo-religious faux-conservative dictatorship would ever yield a moment where he refused to listen to every citizen of the US and do his own thing? Gee, anyone conscious. I'm going to say that if you were to take a peek behind the large painting of Anglo-Jesus that he has defiled the Oval Office with (And folks, I'm a Christian. I'm not against visual representation of our Savior under any circumstances except when rendered on velvet or as religious props for politicians), we would see a small picture of Pol Pot taped to the back with a heart circled around it in red Sharpie. Many historians and political scholars believe that The Khmer Rouge dictatorship in Cambodia was the product of the combined influence of Stalinism and American imperialism. So, I'm not that far off base here. Am I comparing Pol Pot and Bush? Not really. Yet.

But the thing is, I'm not opposed to the deal. I recently took a cruise that left out of Houston. There we dealt with people who were supposed to be keeping our ports safe. And I guess they were in fact keeping them as safe as a bunch of over-weight, high school dropouts recruited from the local trailer parks and government housing projects could. Have you been to an airport lately? Do you feel safe knowing THOSE people are in charge of making sure you are safe? Apparently, they can't even be trusted to handle an attack that might come out of nowhere that involves tweezers or nail clippers or Heaven forbid, an entire mini-manicure set. So, really, could this group do worse? Probably not. And honestly, if anyone would be an expert on trying to keep people safe from terroristic action it would be people from the middle east where that is an everyday life concern.

Okay, I'm crawling down from my soap box and going back to editing out the smart quotes from the worst book ever written now.

1 comment:

Dorky Dad said...

Funny... I'm not opposed to the deal either. The contract is for port operations; port security is still handled by the U.S. The thing that surprises me about this is that Rove didn't anticipate the furor this would cause & come up with messaging in advance. It appears this thing caught the entire administration off guard.