Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Creepy

My mom is reading my blog now (hi mom). It's way creepy. It's like having someone read your diary. And I always thought I had about that many people interested, which is to say none. I mean who reads these things? No one. Except your mother apparently.

So I bought expensive 100% cotton stationary (hope they don't wash it in hot water) and envelopes and business cards for moi. So when I do snail mail I will walk tall among the professional. I was messing around with business card design earlier today and I finally decided just plain black lettering on the ivory card. And to just say what I am which is my name and my address and that I write chick lit. I guess that's sort of boring. But I saw a business card with a glamour shot of the women on it one time. At the moment I thought it was sort of inventive (I was young) but looking back I'm relatively sure that wouldn't be considered super professional. Or professional. Or anything more then worthy of contempt. And I used to wonder why people didn't get published. I guess between the inability to finish more then three chapters and the lack of business savvy I'm beginning to see. Which is a shame because I think a lot of these ladies have compelling ideas.

Also, I sent out another inquiry. Yeah, I did. And I've retinkered the first ten pages to be pretty good. I may be in a done tinkering mood for the short term. So, here is the question of the day...Should I REALLY just send off a query letter or should I send off a packet with the first chapter? Jayne Ann Krentz told me once that you should never send just the letter. She said that any agent or editor worth anything would not be able to resist taking a tiny peek at what you sent them. But then I think it would go into the SLUSH PILE OF UNSOLICITED MANUSCRIPTS OTHERWISE KNOWN AS DEATH VALLEY. A letter on the other hand might just wander in. But the concept that may not sound scintillating in a letter might be awesome on page with a voice. Or vice versa I guess. Decisions....


Anyway, tomorrow I am getting things off one way or another to The Writer's House. Because rejection can't be welcomed soon enough.

No comments: