Monday, February 13, 2006

Half full

In thinking about this (since I have inherited some of my mother's OCD), it seems that there may be a good thing to come out of my rejection from Writer's House.

When you join RWA (Romance Writer's of America) you are a general member. You pay your dues, you get the magazine, you get to go to the national conference, you can join your local chapter, etc. When you complete your first full manuscript and send it off to an agent or editor on the recognized list and they either send you a yes, no or send the rest letter, you can take that, a copy of your manuscript and send it all in with your application to the RWA and you become a PRO. PRO is the next tier. It means you are really serious about your career. You busted through the three chapter curse, you birthed the baby and now you're sending it off to college. So with Daniel Lazar's kind thank you no thank you, I have become a PRO. And await the arrival of my pin to prove it. So what do I get with that? Well..the pin. But also, PRO has it's own website, newsletters, seminars, conferences and best of all, the second crack at the editor/agent appointments at the national convention. So this year I might get to see an agent or editor who actually works in my genre! The next level is PAN for the published. It's the Holy Grail. One day...

So thanks, Daniel! When I am terribly famous and you are kicking yourself for rejecting me, I'll still give you props for this.

No comments: