Friday, March 31, 2006




I'm procrastinating sending my book. But I found a good reason too. After picking up this book, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0446533408/002-4102641-7736011?v=glance&n=283155, Some Like It Haute. It gave me the idea that my main character is supposed to be a very early adopter of the latest runway fashion and that I wasn't doing everything I could with the image of this fashionista shopping at the local Piggly Wiggly in an outfit that looked like the one at the far left. By the way, those pants? A thousand dollars. Seriously. I read in Harper's the other day that a certain purse that costs about $11,000 (and it's not a Birkin) is "over". So she carried hers twice and figured it costs about $5000.00 a wear but that's okay. Additionally the fabulous CJ noted that there was no reason to sympathize with her in the first chapter. Quite frankly I hadn't thought of anyone trying to sympathize until later but if that's what it takes....so I've given her a life long obsession for pursuing the embodiment of Cary Grant as predicted by a fortune teller when she was in high school. And her past husbands, instead of Cary Grant's characters in Charade or To Catch a Thief or That Touch Of Mink is more like the dastardly husband in Charade, the thief and the neurotic side-kick in Mink. BTW, did you know that Cary Grant's real name was Archibald Leach? You probably did. So I'm changing all of her self-help comments to Cary Grant movie quotes. Which has required significant time with Wikipedia and IMDB. My goal is still April 3 but we'll see. I don't want to send it out NOT ready. I'm like the guy who does The Sopranos.

No comments: