Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Gil! Woo-hoo!

Let us chat about Sebastian Bach. Yes, it is an odd topic. But it's my blog and that's what I want to talk about right now. As we all know, I have threatened ASP if she did not put Hep Alien back on the Gilmore Girls ASAP (hey, that's a lot of ASPs, isn't it?). And, in what I like to think of as a shout-out to me and me alone, she did. Thank you, Amy! Thank you for saving me the airfare to Los Angeles, the expense of buying one of those houses of the stars maps from street guy and the rental car fee. If you were in a coma and didn't see it, the remains of Hep Alien were playing a bat mitzvah and Gil was singing Hollaback Girl in what can only be described as the most award winning, entertaining and generally momentous event on television since...I don't know, since Hitler opened the Olympics (and if you know what I'm talking about, trivia kudos to you).

At the end of this performance, my husband and I put down our dinner, lined the cats up on the sofa and did The Wave. Because? It was that awesome! I'm totally putting a Sebastian poster on my wall at home. I bet I could get an autographed one. If you missed it? I will alert you when the re-run comes around because even the amazingly kooky Nancy Grace (who my husband refers to as pretty much insane) is not even this entertaining. No one is! No one! Well played, Sebastian. Well played.

Okay, on the literary front...a certain person is judging a certain contest. Here is how it goes when one does this. You get sent entries (say five) from a certain category (say historical or something) and you read the entry (now depending on the contest this is different. Some of them call for the first 25 pages and a synopsis, some the moment that the heroine realizes she's a vampire or an alien or whatever, some when your hero and heroine meet, etc.). Then you fill out a scoresheet and make your comments and send them back. Ususally each entry is judged by three or four people so that you can get a consensus opinion. And you pay about $35 for this. If you final, then your entry is read by an editor or agent who works with your genre. So you pay money to get your script looked at with fresh eyes and a chance to get a professional read. So, usually out of any five pieces you get one that is fabulous, outstanding and perfect in every way. You get several predictable plot/great execution, good plot/horrible execution ones and then you get one that is the most God-awful mess of words on paper you've ever seen. The question is what do you do with these? Do you be honest? That means telling someone that all their hardwork basically blows and may guarantee that they just give up altogether. Or you can lie and tell them that it's okay and then they send it off to an editor or agent and get some rude letter back that says they can't write and get blacklisted. There are no good choices. So, nice and lie or truthful and dream killing? I'm never judging anything again...

No comments: