Friday, April 07, 2006

Assumptions based on nothing

Lately I've been on the receiving end of several anonymous replies to something I've posted hitting my email directly or on a mass mailing list of something someone I know is sending out. This is two separate issues, by the way.

First, anytime you start a blog and basically make your personal journal public, you're opening yourself up to people who do not agree with you. I understand that. I have no problem with that. But what does bother me is when people reply to things as anonymous. I've been witness to a number of rather feral attacks on people via email that are signed anonymous. Is there something about being able to stay hidden that makes you proud to be rude? Is it that in your daily life you're in a situation with no control or are very unhappy and so you wander around looking for things you can state your opinion about in the rudest terms possible and then hide because you can dish it out but not take it? It's immature, it's creepy and it's wrong. If you're too ashamed to attach your name to something, then you don't truly believe in it and therefore you have no business expressing it anywhere but your own journal/blog. This is a reply one of our friends got on his blog today when he had posted a one paragraph blurb about a baseball player. Our friend is probably the least offensive human on the planet and I am NOT kidding.


Dude, your name is DMurphy. That's just like Dale Murphy. Obviously you're just a huge tool.

Here are all the reasons why you're just an arm of the conspiracy:

1. You're an Atlanta fan. Atlanta has won 14 straight pennants because they're the center of the red-state South. Atlanta is thusly permitted to win baseball pennants each year in order to assure that the votes in the South stay Republican and keep Bush in the White House.
2. You're a "Braves" fan. How could it be anymore obvious? You're basically cheering for a team that has an oppressed minority as its mascot. The fact that you cheer for such a team is evidence that you're willing to exploit minorities for your own gain and that you are, therefore, a racist.
3. Your obsession with Bobby Dews indicates that you hate old people. Well, you know what, they hate you too. And they have more money than you.
4. I noticed you page background is white. Coincidence? I don't think so.
5. Baseball is just a game of the upper class when they're not too busy exploiting slave labor in 3rd world countries. You're crazy obsession with America's (read: The Imperialist Empire's) pasttime shows that you're nothing but an ehtnocentric BLEEP.
6. The Braves refused to give Shirley Lawson, a star catcher from the Westwood Jumbos softball team, a tryout. It's evidence that the Braves are a part of the male partriarchal conspiracy and that you merely reaffirm said oppression.

Fight the power.

This person actually did attach a blog link onto this but when clicked it's a dead end. Coward. I would like to know where this person is living and what they are wearing, eating or using that isn't from a third world country. Perhaps this is a survivalist who built their own generator and makes their own rubber soles for their books? I'd also lile to know more about what this conspiracy is. Our friend posted a very polite reply on his blog but forgot to ask for supporting documents and graphs.

The second issue is this. I've been getting lots of CC or forwarded emails. They're from people I know. I think. There needs to be some etiquette attached to these things. Or maybe just some common sense. Recently I got this:


We should all be more involved and informed when it comes to politics. Otherwise, there is no reason to complain about the way this country is being run. I personally am sick and tired of hearing about amnesty for illegal aliens.

(HIS WIFE) has been in this country legally for 9 years on student and work visas. She speaks better English than anyone else I know. She busted her buns to get her marketing degree at KSU and is now (Deleted)Marketing Manager for (Deleted). After we got married we applied to get her green card/citizenship as well as work and travel permits. To file these forms cost us over $2,000 and plenty of time doing research and filling out complicated forms. This past Monday she was finally granted her green card (yeah!!!) after almost 2 years.

Now, our government wants to give amnesty to those who entered this country illegally, are working illegally, and have not assimilated themselves into our society. What will this cost the illegals? Not a thing. They will be rewarded for breaking our laws. This is not the American way. I personally will be sending some letters to my representatives (as if they have not heard from me enough regarding the Fair Tax plan). I found an interesting way to stay informed. You can sign up for weekly emails that notify you about current issues and the way your representatives vote on them. The link is below.


I've removed their names and her job as a courtesy. This person clearly knows nothing about us or they would never have sent us such an offensive email. My husband and I both replied and it wasn't pretty. There seems to be this narrow minded view that makes people assume because you think something, that everyone else you know is of the same mind set particularly when it comes to sensitive issues. Normally, I would never post an email like this but again, if you're sending it to everyone....

(This will seem strange but I believe this may have been God working through this person. I had been pondering and praying about an issue for the last two weeks and this pretty much was the final nail in the coffin. So, I guess the Lord does work in mysterious ways.)

So from now on, here are some guidelines to sending our family any group or CC emails.

1) As yourself if we care. The best way to proceed would be to send us an email that starts with Dear Rob and Staci but we know that sometimes this is just not practical.

2) If you have determined that they do, then please write the purpose of your email clearly in the title box. Prayer Request, Banana Bread Recipe, Alien Autopsy Photos, etc.

3) Do not assume you know anything about us unless we are actually friends and not acquaintances (And I'll say that we move to the friend level when we go out and do things together. I would not consider the mailman my friend even though we often chit chat at the box). Please do not assume we are:

Republican
Democrat
Green Party
Libertarian
Bigots
KKK
White Supremacist
Pro-Illegal Amnesty
Con-Illegal Amnesty
Minority (Actually I will clue you in on this one. My husband, and thus daughter, are part Cherokee and anything that starts with "those illegals" just pushes his buttons really badly, see above email. Again a fine example of what happens when you assume things about people you do not know.)
Not-Minority
Affiliated with any religion other then Christian, but we are certainly open to hearing others views since we pride ourselves on giving everyone a chance to express themselves appropriately, in the right place and at the right time and not just in an attempt to make others uncomfortable
Pro-Choice
Pro-Life
Pro-NRA
Con-NRA
For capitol punishment
Against capitol punishment
Vegetarians
Not-Vegetarians
environmentalists
Not-environmentalists
Fans or not fans of any actors/actresses/musicians/movies/authors/directors or any particular type of live performances which may include but are not limited to Kabuki theatre, French films, Michael Moore, South Park, spoken word or underground performance art
Pro-corporal punishment
Con-corporal punishment
Pro-public education
Con-public education
Interested in your sex life
Interested in your parent's sex life
Interested in mixing church and state
Moderating any family issues
We do not watch American Idol, The Apprentice, West Wing, 24 or Survivor. Please remove us from your speculation and adoration emails concerning these shows since we have no idea what you're talking about
Your movements to legalize, stablilize, tax, untax, censor or uncensor
Pro-Gay
Con-Gay

4) Having run through all of the above questions in your head, ask yourself if your email is germane and meets these standards. If not, please do not SPAM us but post your opinion on your own blog and email us the link with the heading My Blog.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

How does being part Cherokee have anything to do with being offended by this email?

Bipolarette said...

Dear Anonymous,

I totally see the confusion. My husband likes to tell people who get all on their high horse about how immigrants (ANY immigrant population included) aren't assimilating themselves properly into the American culture is...if you're so hot on blending yourself into the culture then how come everyone isn't more Native American? When did we forget that a large portion of folks who live in this country came from ancestors who in no way attempted to blend in the already exsisting culture. Bottom line, those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. That's his opinion which you can check out at his blog.

Anonymous said...

So if we don't live like the Indians did we are guilty of the same thing that this email is complaining about? That is a stretch.

Rob said...

Dear Mr. Anonymous Blog comment guy,

If you are so proud of your opinion, why are you hiding behind an anonymous screen name?

Applying the same expectations to yourself that you apply to others - how is that a stretch?

Of course if you are like the racist who wrote the email in question, I probably already know the answer to that question.

Anonymous said...

OK. Now I have nothing to hide behind. I am a little surprised you would pull the race card. I did not mention race or any particular nationality in my email. On what grounds am I a racist? Is it because I believe that the laws of this country should be respected and followed? I am applying the same expectations to the illegal immigrants as I do to myself. Renata and I followed the laws and went through the legal process of keeping her in this country. I abide by our laws and expect the people who come to this country to do the same.

You disagree with me because I said that illegal immigrants should do their best to assimilate into our society? Forgive me. I think that the word assimilate might mean something different to you than it does to me. Please let me explain myself. I used this word because it is a word I have heard before when talking about immigration. I did a Google search on the definition of assimilate - become similar to one's environment. Every website that I looked at had these two example sentences: "Immigrants often want to assimilate quickly" and "This country assimilates immigrants very quickly." Don't think that I would expect an immigrant to become exactly like a particular group of Americans. America is so diverse and that is why it is easy to assimilate here compared to other countries.

Now on to the issue about the Indians and the settlers. I see your point here. The settlers came to this land and did not attempt to assimilate into native culture. Instead they conquered it. I do see some differences that I think should be pointed out. First, the American Indians were not one united nation and did not have one set of laws with rules on who could come here and who could not. There were many different tribes and in some cases they were in conflict with each other. Another difference is that these were times when people around the world were being conquered by a more powerful force. It happened many times throughout history. I am sure that every country has a history of conquering another group of people. Does this take away that country’s right to enforce its laws?

I am sorry that this has gone so far. I do not take being called a racist lightly. The intent of my email was not to anger or offend anyone. I wish that you guys had responded to me directly. It would have given me a chance to clarify my words and discuss the issues with you. Instead I had to find out through Todd that both you and Stacey were upset with me and had posted my email on your blog. I posted anonymously because I was not sure what part of the email upset you guys. I was afraid if I posted with my name you would not have been as honest with me about what offended you. I will not send out any more emails to anyone in the group. Please respond and let me know how you feel after reading this.

Bipolarette said...

Hey, if ya'll wanted to take this to your own blogs and slug it out, that would be great.

You've both missed the point entirely. Don't be sticking my name or email address on anything that you're not sure I'm going to be okay with on things please. I'm not putting anyone's name on a petition to ban men from driving minivans or a mailing list to have people who abuse animals put to death or sending out emails to people I don't know about pros and cons of treating my yard with chemicals that may be tainting the water supply because I don't know how my casual acquaintances feel about those things. If they feel opposed to my opinions then I have no business attaching their name on things and giving others the impression that they are like minded. I have a neighbor who's political stance is somewhere on the far right side of Imus. He assumes that I am of the same exact mindset because I live next door, I'm white, I live in East Cobb, I'm from a fairly conservative family, I'm a Christian, I'm educated, we are friends and get along well or whatever he bases this on. That's fine, he's welcome to think that and I don't disabuse him of this notion since there is just no need too. Frankly, what's the point? No one has ever changed their minds about anything political becasue someone else told them they think they're wrong. They just make everyone feel awkward and bored. BUT if he started to tell others that I thought segregation was a good idea or something, then I would have to loudly and firmly announce that I'm not and he has no business implying that I am. I don't care what anyone's opinion is, just don't assume it's mine and make others think it as well.

Here's one you can spread around, to introduce a sensitive political topic into any group of people that you do not know creates division. This is no where more inappropriate then in a religious setting. Adding yet another elephant sitting in the middle of the coffee table is not going to do anyone any good or make things better. I'm not even sure there is room for another one.

Anonymous said...

Staci,

I do not have a blog. I am responding on your blog because that is where my email was posted and where I was accused of being a racist. Like I said in my response to Rob, I do not take being called a racist lightly, especially when I feel it is unwarranted. I can understand your problem with receiving this email and maybe I should have thought twice about sending it to you. However, you had never communicated your dislike for emails like this to me so how could I have known? I apologize for sending you something you did not want to receive. It will not happen again.