Friday, June 22, 2007

A ten year relationship coming to a close

A little Haiku (or maybe not, I could never write the damn things):

We're done.
We're sad.
We think Brian Glassner
and eveyone at Sci-Fi sucks.













Well, let's all be honest. I'm a sci-fi nerd. Always have been, always will be. I've been really hating the 'new direction' sci-fi channel has taken over the last two years but at least it brought me BSG and for that, I can partially forgive them. But wrestling? What the hell? Check your demographics.

Anyway, tonight, it's over. After ten vested years in countless relationships, missions and fretting over the state of the Jack/Samantha relationship, Stargate SG-1 is taking it's swan song. I'm loosing friends here, long and faithful friends. Before I was married do you have any idea how many of these episodes, Cheetos and Diet Cokes got me through the dateless nights. Anyway, it just pains me. Remember the time O'Neil got all of the Ancients technology downloaded in his brain? Or the other time O'Neil got all the Ancients technology loaded into his brain? Or when the gang traveled back in time? Or forward? Or just generally around screwing up things, blowing up things and shooting things? Even the addition of Ben Browder with Claudia Black to off-set him worked for me. I hate you Sci-Fi, hate you (sobbing into a dish towel). I will come for you Grassner, and I will be bringing all of hell with me and the sets will run red with blood....okay, maybe that's a little creepy. I do like Atlantis as much as I like a cheap knock-off. It's like a Prado bag if you know what I mean.

And what about our lovely Sam? Wasn't the idea of the brilliant, tech scientist being a woman a thrill? She took names, she kicked ass and she did it all while fixing the most bizarre technology and shouting 'I just need another minute". She could fix it, fly it, rewire, be the voice of reason and do it all with pretty good hair. But she never seemed Barbie like, never wore inappropriate clothing, never got new boobs, never word too much make-up. She was the every women. If the every woman was a rocket scientist. I loved you Sam. And I know I'll see you on Atlantis next year, but really it's just not the same.


I loved you Jack. I know you bowed out for family reasons but you were good. I know your bought the production company and that was good. You were weird and snarky and for some reason enjoyed lots of fishing. Ben is good, but he's not you. You set the standard for all those tough, snarky, military types to come (Jack Bower, anything Keanu Reeves) . And it is a high standard, my friend. Remember the time they froze you? It wasn't a happy time for us. Remember Moebius part two? The best of times. It's been a long road. And will us Jack/Sam shippers ever be satisfied? Probably not.


Daniel, or as I like to call you, our little nerd delight in glasses. Oh, Daniel what can we say? You left us. Then when you discovered you weren't all that employable elsewhere, you were back. I can forgive that. I've been with you when you were just a science nerd to now when you've become..not so much a science nerd. You got over the whole wife thing and I was glad since, who cared? You were our hero in a do rag who spouted off stuff that confused us. Our super geek. The guy we'd take home to mom, even if mom would have no idea what you were talking about. And what was in all those journals you carried around everywhere? And Valla? She's good for you. Stop fighting it.

Christopher Judge? How many times were you tortured in a gratuitous way to get your shirt off? Thank you for that. You must have been hitting the gym three times a day for your fans and we admire you for it. While the hair has been weird, the 'indeed' was a constant. I'll miss you and your Spock like qualities, if Spock had less pointy ears and had showed up at the Vagina Monologues. It's been fun. It's been exciting. It was terribly cool when you had that the thing that flipped up and made a bird head.

So fav episodes? Mine? Moebius, parts one and two, season eight. Runner up: 200, season 9. All time fav fan episode according to the pool at Sci-fi.com? Window of Opportunity, Season Four. I suspect this was due to this particular scene. Let's face it, we needed it by then. We all need a little reminder of the romantic angle. We could have used more but it wasn't really about that, just seething below the surface with the occasional reminder was okay.

So good-bye, my darlings. Gate off somewhere wonderful. We'll be right here hanging out at http://www.gateworld.com or some fan-fic board waiting for our mini-series when you all find out you don't really have anything else to do. I have to go cry some more now. Hate you Sci-Fi...

No comments: