Thursday, August 03, 2006

Watch that first step off the wagon...it's a doozey


Well, let's get to it shall we?

Mel Gibson. What's up with that?

Anti-Jew? Drunk? Victim of gross elaboration?

As you all know, my husband and I are great adorers of Nancy Grace. And I'll discuss her later. But last night I was sort of pissed that she had on not only the Mel Gibson story but that her take was that he had b
een given special treatment by being...arrested?

I like Mel Gibson. He's handsome, he's made some excellent movies, he's funny. I got no Mel issue per say. Now let me say that in my job, I know a lot about DUIs. WAY MORE THAN ANYONE SHOULD.

Mel Gibson was arrested for
DUI and open container. That's what the warrant states. Feel free to mosey over to
TheSmokingGun.com and check it out yourself, the complete warrant is up. There's not mention of say, obstructing and officer, simple battery, terroristic threats, public disturbance, resisting arrest or anyo f half a dozen other charges that he could (probably would) have been charged with if the story that is circulating were completely true. I've read a lot of warrants and if you're insulting a police officer, it's in there. If you try it, they'll charge you with things you can not imagine.

So, what did he say? Who to? What's been embellished? Who knows. We'll never know. But here's the thing. Last night Nancy had on a Rabbi who was slashing old Mel in to ribbons. But here's the thing. Mel Gibson was hailed as the man who brought God back to hedonist Hollywood three years ago. He was beloved in the eyes of many of the same religious "leaders" who are bashing him now. In the time in between he's given plenty of money, his name nad some time to these various causes. So why is it that suddenly they are turning on him? Oh Hollywood, why has thou fosaken Mel? Why is it that you are taking the word of police officers over his without question? Especially when none of it appears in the official documentation? I'm not saying he didn't say it, I'm saying is there any evidence that this story wasn't SLIGHTLY embellished. I mean HOLLYWOOD, what are the odds? Maybe he said horrible ugly things about Jews and they should be ofended by that attitude. Maybe he called a woman sugartits. Honestly, I doubt this expresses his contempt for all women and I do get called way worse at work daily. Actually, are we sure he wasn;t just humming the lyrics to an Eminem song? Oh, wait, he would have called her Ho-Bitch instead and then followed that up with a threat to kill his ex-wife. And as for his claim to own Malibu...that may be true actually.


And even more disturbing, why are we so in a tizzy that it's Mel Gibson? Hey, famous people get arrested for a lot of crap ALL THE TIME. Are we by chance more shocked because he made a movie about Christ? That soemhow in our minds this made him better than other Hollywood movie mogul? Have we confused reality and entertainment? I'm not saying Mel Gibson isn't a religious person. For all I know he was tieing one more on before taking a plane to Italy and sequestering himself in a monastary. Or maybe he is a bigot? I don't know that either.

But I do know that Mel Gibson is an actor. He's a producer. He's a director. He's in the business of making money via movies. Jim Cavezial is not Jesus (??). I'm fairly sure Samuel L. Jackson does not really want snakes on his plane (??). Unless otherwise notified I'm going to plant my flag firmly on the ground that Heath Ledger is not only NOT gay, but not an aging shepard who lives in a trailer.

So why is this such a tempest in a tea pot? Are we more upset that he spewed out some ugly things while drunk? Or because he fell off the pedestal?

Incidentally, Nancy Grace, DUI and open container are both misdomeanors. You can walk out of jail any time you're in the mood after you post your $1200.00 bond.

No comments: