Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Never Google Panty Cookies...Just...no

You're probably wondering where this is going.

Well, Monday (which I shall refer to as the very bad awful day) I got rejected by Jenny Bent of Trident Media and the Knight Agency within like three seconds of each other. Jenny's rejection was very nice compared to many, many of my friends who have received less than kind responses and feedback. In the spirit of full disclosure I will tell you that Jenny said she liked the idea, was very taken with the humor but couldn't really connect with my heroine in the first thirty pages. Okay, I can take that. It wasn't harsh criticism and it was constructive and it can be fixed. The Knight Agency (who I consider B list) turned me down after the initial query letter. Recently they've gone to a lot of paranormal. One of the reasons that I had somewhat avoided them as that the owner has written a book and published it so I felt like her first loyalty was..her. And who could blame her? But it was upsetting. I had had a rough day anyway having spent 85% of it in the confines of the Cobb County Court System so the news hit me hard. I actually went home and cried.

Which made it worse. The thing is I promised myself that I would never get upset about these rejections I would just take what I learned and move on. If it was meant to happen, God would make it happen. But still.. Trident Media. Then something even more bizarre happened. One of the goddesses who works at the RWA National office and somehow keep their sanity emailed and asked if I would moderate one of the workshops for them. I said SURE since I'm mad helpful like that. So they ended up giving me this workshop: Frankly, My Dear, We Do Give a Damn! / Mary Monroe, Mary Kay Andrews, Patti Callahan Henry and Kimberley Whalen. If you're not up to speed here, Kim Whalen is a BIG HUGE DEAL at Trident. So am I stalking Trident Media or vice versa? But as a reward for taking on this workshop I got an appointment with an agent. Who I have never heard of. And looks to mostly take African American projects on. But you know, five minutes to chat if nothing else.

So Tuesday I got back on the horse and I sent my query letter out to 6 more agents. I pulled the grid of agents taking appointments at Nationals and begin researching the chick-lit lovers and seeing who was who and who took email queries. One of which emailed me back immediately and said she wanted to see it but it would be six months since she was snowed under and referred me to two of her friends. So I figure that was good. It may not count for anything but it was good.

So, about the cookies. I've decided my theme at this years RWA National Convention is...shameless self promotion. You know who is really good at this?
Haywood Smith. I've seen her wear bizarre hats, give lectures to a group of four and just generally weave magic. So channeling Haywood, I have decided that what I want to do is glassine bag designer cookies and attach my business card to them for editors/agents I may meet. When you go to the Nationals, you go to several smaller parties given by your chapters where you rub elbows with people specifically interested in YOUR genre. So, self-promotion.

So yesterday I googled Panty Cookies. Bad, bad idea. Just...bad. You would not NOT believe some of the things that popped up. Nor would you want too. Anyway, I found
this cute as pie place that will make via special order bra and panty cookies and they are tasteful (pardon the pun) and cute. They're also $3.50 a piece. On the other hand, I can order a big gift box of cute high heeled shoe ones at about $2.20 a piece. What to do...what to do? I've already made super cute labels to put on the bags with the name of my book, my name and my email address and they have a little Winnebago and handcuffs on them.

Well, let's take a poll, a first here at NovelChick....

You lovely people decide....


Bra & Panty

VS

Cute Shoes

Talk about your clash of the titans...

No comments: