Friday, January 20, 2006

Jane Austen

Who was it I was reading about the other day who just flat out said she copied Pride and Prejudice almost scene for scene. It was the Bridget Jones chick wasn't it? See, that's what happens when you die, a hundred years pass and your copyright bites the dust. I understand Gone With The Wind is out of copyright too. And the "sequel"? Oy! Allegedly her two survivng relatives (nephews?) knew the copyright was running out soon and wanted the sequel out before everyone else could write one. I suppose one can not be faulted for wanting a piece of the pie they do not deserve. Can you imagine Jane Auten's relatives being all let's get someone to write sequels to all of Jane's work. So should I copy a Jane Austen plot? Cliffhanger Abbey? How the heck am I going to work in a cake baker into her stuff? Maybe another prolific long dead writer?
No? Maybe not...

No comments: