Sunday, December 10, 2006

Dirt Devils, Charades and Velour Jogging Suits

My husband last night asked me to write a short blurb on gift giving.

I had been dogging him for weeks to please make a list on Amazon.com for all to view. Last year he received many a gift that have happily found new homes via garage sales. We're not ungrateful for said items and we know it's the thought that counts. But as cheap people ourselves we do not want to see people wasting money on things we will never use. Wouldn't the world be a spectacular place if we all just made a list of stuff we'd like. Not to be materialistic mind you. My own list contains 12 items and the prices top out at $49.00 I think. But just so people can go, hey, did you know that crushed teal velvet walking suit we're thinking of isn't on there but for $12.00 we can get her a DVD she truly desires?


I'm at a point in my life where I neither need or desire much 'stuff''. I like clothes that I will wear regularly (jeans, t-shirts, jackets). I like to take trips and would rather get a guide book to my next destination. I like CDs and DVDs that I enjoy. I'd love coupons for oil changes. I like dishes that complete my wedding china. A gift certificate for a cleaning service would be great.

What I don't want are things I need to dust. Things my 2 year old will break. I don't wear jewelry except a pair of earrings and my wedding ring. I'm lousy with indoor plants. I really don't need to eat more candy.

So I encourage all of you to make a list somewhere that others can view and put some things (in all price points and easily buyable) that you really want which saves you from either returning it, wearing/displaying it when the gift giver comes over or explaining why you are not wearing/displaying it.

Really, if you want a Roomba, a subscription to Aquarist Monthly or the Homeland Security Quote A Day desk calendar, you need to speak up. Otherwise, it's velour jogging suit for you. With matching socks.

No comments: